My sister, sweet as she is, requested a homemade pie crust yesterday from her third trimester, very tired little sister. So, of course I obliged.
If I’ve ever been proud of myself as a homemaker, it’s when I have a stocked pantry on basics that allow me to make things like chicken pot pie on a whim.
Keeping things like chicken, frozen vegetables, and condensed soup is easy. It’s pie crust that can be a little tricky.
Lucky for you, if you have a few basic ingredients like flour, shortening, water, and salt then you can make a delicious pie crust as well that pairs perfectly with all your savory dishes.
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1 c shortening (I used butter flavoring. so yummy!)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 4-6 Tbsp water
- I combined my flour and shortening, cutting in the shortening until it created a fine crumble.
- Sprinkle in the salt and mash into crumbles again using a pastry cutter so as not to mash the dough.
- I then added my water and combined using a spatula before digging in with my hands to combine the dough well.
- Once smooth, I divided into 2 halves. One half for the bottom crust, one half for the top crust.
- Without allowing it to rest, I rolled out one dough ball into a sheet and laid over the pie dish, pressing in.
- Fill with your chicken pot pie filling or whatever dish you are making.
- Repeat step 5 and lay over the top.
- Brush with egg wash for a beautiful shine.
- To allow for the perfect crisp, I baked at 350 degrees farenheight until golden brown.