Well, “never” seems a bit dramatic but Y’ALL, I am sharing a recipe that makes homemade tortillas SO simple and so fresh that you will never want to eat processed tortillas again.
I saw this recipe on @kristinjohns on instagram and immediately knew I had to try it out! I saw the list of 5 ingredients and was like, “no way” but yes way!
Literally all you need ingredient wise is:
- 3 C flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 tbsp salt
- 1/3 vegetable oil
- 1 C warm water
When I think about the process of making tortillas, I picture this long and drawn out, delicate process that I would not be able to achieve at home unless I wanted to spend 3 hours doing so.
This recipe and process are so simple that the first time I tried it, I was multitasking by making pan-seared fish and grilled veggies. Don’t worry, nothing was burned in the process.
So, lets get into it.
- Prep your work area. I was sure to clean my counter, lay down parchment paper with tape, and gathered my rolling pin. I also go ahead and put my flat skillet on the stove and turn it on medium heat.
- Mix together the dry ingredients.
- Add the oil and mix. You mixture will look something like this…
4. Add the warm water and mix until a dough consistency forms. You will notice the mixture start to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Cover and let rise for just a little bit.
5. Once risen, it is time to section out and roll your dough. I use an amount that is a little smaller than a golf ball. If you aren’t good at measuring off, don’t worry! Part of the fun in making these is that they are all different shapes and sizes.
6. When you have achieve your desired thickness and size, place your tortilla on the skillet for roughly 25 seconds. You will see it start to brown and potentially bubble. When this happens, it is time to flip! Once both sides are lightly browned, you are done!
I want to warn that this recipe makes A LOT of tortillas, like upwards of 25. If I am just cooking for me and hubs, I will half it and still make more than we can eat in 3 days time. The finished product will look something like this…
Pro tip: While the tortillas are still hot, put a little butter on them. I have no regrets for how unhealthy this is…I’m southern okay! I can indulge every once in a while!
I really hope y’all enjoy this recipe as much as we have! I love that with this, I know exactly what is going into my food. It is so simple and easily assembled with items that are your typical pantry staples.
With love, Elizabeth.